Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Greenhouse Chronicles: Trussing Up Tomato Plants


I just posted on these darn tomatoes last week and already there was a noticeable difference in their growth from last weeks pictures. And, also they were becoming a crazy tangled mess. I remembered seeing once on a gardening show (something like that?) that people who grow tomatoes in a greenhouse often truss them up to the framing above. Well, it works a treat. I decided on soft yarn and the pictures will show the rest! i will note that I did tie them quite taught in order to straighten as best I could the wonky ones. Some don't need the trussing yet but all the back ones did.



Rutgers

Amish Paste


Red October

Romas

This was all pre-watering if you can't tell. I deep water them every other day. They are getting a little 'weepy' be the next watering but this prevents them from getting super water dependent. I also fed them some MG today. I feed about every two weeks.

After I trussed them up I pruned suckers and needless lower branches. Honestly this is the most 'control' over tomatoes I have ever had. I would like to grow many more varieties next year and definitely give another 6 to 12 inches of space between plants.
I have also entertained the idea of selling seedlings if anyone was interested. Have greenhouse will grow!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment