Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins


My son is gluten and dairy free. This has been a learning curve for me as I have been making a lot of his treats I took for granted. We started this diet the end of March and went cold turkey. The changes and improvements in his behavior and speech have been profound and I am so glad we did it. Today he ate his last GF muffin and it was time to restock the freezer. I skimmed through his cookbook, The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cook Book, and from what we had in the pantry I chose Pumpkin Bread. I made 12 muffins and 3 mini loaves so we should be set for a month or more. If you are gluten free this is a must try because it is so good!

3 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Add wet to the dry and mix very well. Add chocolate chips if desired (I didn't this time).

Divide batter among three 8X4 bread pans or two 12 cup muffin tins that have been sprayed well with cooking spray. Bake loaves for 45-50 minutes until they test clean, muffins for 40 min until they test clean. Cool completely before cutting serving.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment