Thursday, May 28, 2015

May Gardening Synopsis: The Barn Garden



May went so fast! May was also warm and is finishing up with a week of 80+ degree days! The garden has responded to these temperatures with gusto in the growth department. All of the seeds except the potatoes are up after only a week including the corn.

Black Seeded Simpson lettuce

Cucumbers

Corn shoot

Chard

Zucchini

I also put some extra onions in a pallet...


...and I seeded the pole beans today.



Along with Kentucky Wonder for fresh eating and canning I am growing True Red Cranberry for dried beans this year. They are actually native to Maine grown by our Natives and first settlers and are said to be perfect baking beans. I was mostly interesting in the fact that they are good for dried beans yet a pole growth habit seeing as most dried beans are bush which I am not so much a fan of. I'm excited to try this out!

I only have the pumpkins and squash left to plant which I am pre-sprouting because some of the seeds were old. After that I will just be tending, harvesting, and planting lettuce and greens as needed until the end of the summer when fall crops need to be put in.

Happy gardening!


This post was shared on Green Thumb Thursday blog hop.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're just about finished planting! That is awesome!

    Thanks for linking up with Green Thumb Thursday! I hope you'll stop back again this week!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete