Sunday, December 28, 2014

Me and My Baby Weight



What new mom doesn't talk about their baby weight? We're women, we talk about everything. But, how many of those new moms are just glowing and back in their skinny jeans in a matter of a couple months? Not really any I know. So, here I am coming up on the 3 month mark with my little Happy Boy and except for the 30 pounds I lost in the two weeks after his birth I have lost nothing. In fact I even gained back a couple. After I had Mini Me I had obviously never had a postpartum body before and much to my disappointment nothing went back to how I remembered! Despite breastfeeding exclusively and eating fairly well I was stuck at a rather uncomfortable 180 pounds on my 5' 7" frame. After Mini weaned herself at 10 months I finally found my will power and started to lose the weight by cutting out all gluten and sugar as well as walking faithfully. In about 6 months I was down to 155, 10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight.

This time around I would like to try losing all my pregnancy weight plus about 10 pounds like last time but while breastfeeding. My supply seems to be much less finicky than before so I am feeling confident I will be able to accomplish my goal without effecting it. I certainly have enough fat to fuel production! But, I have more than just weight loss as my goal. I would like to...


Increase my energy. This is probably even more important to me than the weight loss. I have really struggled this time with fatigue and constant ups and downs. My mood has not been awful but it certainly has not been as even as I'd like it to be. So I would like to find a natural way to get some decent energy! Right now I am a major coffee drinker (BAD!!!) and sugar eater (WORSE!!!). Combine these and no wonder I have this issue.


Slowly detox. Now, before you jump on me about how I'm going to dump a bunch of toxins into my milk let me just say that I have concluded through research that I can absolutely detox without it effecting my milk. Done slowly and carefully detoxing can help jump start a very tired and overloaded body which is precisely what I have! Mainly I will be reducing the toxin intake and increasing toxin elimination by eating whole, unprocessed foods, drinking lots of water, drinking supporting herbal teas like milk thistle and trying out some gelatinous foods like chia seeds.


Regain my clear skin. Before having Happy Boy my skin looked great! Now it's dull and I'm getting breakouts! Enough said.


So, the big picture is I would like to regain my health and continue to breastfeed while doing it. It's going to be hard but when I think of how good I will feel again it's motivation for sure. I will elaborate more on the actual weight loss once I start losing some!

Til next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily. I'm diabetic and I know that high blood glucose makes me lethargic, cranky, confused, and tired. I cannot imagine that high blood glucose would have a different effect on others. So, instead of detoxing, I think simply not eating sugar would do the trick for you. If one were to be serious about trimming down, one could greatly limit carbs, as they become sugar, and the simpler carbs (for example those made with white flour) may have a greater effect on blood glucose than sugar itself. The whole food carbs, for example whole grains and legumes, stretch out the glucose load because of their fiber, but someone struggling with weight, energy and mood would be doing great to simply stop eating sugar. You'll notice the difference within a week, depending on how much sugar is in your blood now. It will take a while for the body to consume the excess and return to normal functioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree and am cutting out sugar slowly because I tried cold turkey and was so grouchy! I do understand about blood sugar and it is one of my focuses to reduce drastic fluctuations. Thank you for commenting :-)

    ReplyDelete